Monday 7 November 2016

Data Update #2

The most compelling information I found in my data set was the 20% decrease of motor vehicle fatalities between 2010 and 2011. The decrease comes specifically from the road user type "Motor Vehicle Driver" which saw a decrease of 22% in those same years. After the decrease, the fatalities stayed relatively consistent until 2014.

My spreadsheet shows the decrease of these motor vehicle fatalities in total and in the specific motor vehicle type of "Motor Vehicle Driver."  As well as my original data set can be found here.

My relevant news article can be found here.

This article done by the Canada Safety Council explains that in 2010 a program was implemented called Immediate Roadside Prohibition (IRP) Program which was aimed at reducing roadside fatalities. That a year after the program was put into action in BC it won an award for reducing fatalities drastically. This is relevant to my data because my data set contains all the road users that were injured in a collision involving a motor vehicle on a public highway and died anytime within 30 days of the crash from their injuries in British Columbia from 1996 to 2014. As this is a road side assistance program, it is relevant to my data because my fatality data includes this 30 day after the accident period. So this could be used as an example as to why we see a decrease in fatalities in these years. Even though this program doesn't cover all of my data collected. So there is other catalysts to find but this is a good start.

4 comments:

  1. i have carefully read your spreadsheet including your raw data and the specific data you choose. I agree with your opening and i think you have done a good job on defining the most important part of data you chosen. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting relevance to the data, I wonder what the program actually details? For it to reduce fatalities by 22% it must be quite comprehensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to read there are fewer fatalities. You provided a relevant news story to convey the importance of your key data finding that there were fewer fatalities. Was the consistent decline in fatalities attributed to road side programs? You acknowledge there may be "other catalysts" and what do you think are the other catalysts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Max
    20% decrease of motor vehicle fatalities between 2010 and 2011 is substantial. It makes me curious about your topic. I look forward to read your final report. Cheers

    ReplyDelete